1. bury our head in a good book 埋頭讀一本好書
For many of us, there’s nothing better than burying our head in a good book.
2. a gripping crime story 扣人心弦的犯罪故事
3. a biography of someone’s amazing life 某人的驚奇生活傳記
4. switch off from the distractions of everyday life 脫離日常生活中使人分心的事情
Whether it’s a gripping crime story or a biography of someone’s amazing life, it’s good to read a book to switch off from the distractions of everyday life and help us relax.
5. are actually being prescribed/prɪˈskraɪbd/as a remedy to sickness 正在被採用為疾病的療法
Maybe that’s why some of them are actually being prescribed as a remedy to sickness.
6. It may seem obvious that 顯而易見的是
It may seem obvious that reading is good for us.
7. broaden the mind 開闊眼界
It can be educational, and, as some say, it can ‘broaden the mind’.
8. make us cry as we empathise with characters 讓我們在與角色產生共鳴時哭泣
（V-I If you empathise with someone, you understand their situation, problems, and feelings because you have been in a similar situation有同感; 起共鳴）
A good novel can make us happy or sad, or make us cry as we empathise with characters.
9. tackling topics from depression to dementia to chronic pain 解決從抑鬱症到癡呆到慢性疼痛的問題
The power of books was recognised a few years ago by the British charity Reading Agency, who published a list of books that doctors could offer to patients, tackling topics from depression to dementia to chronic pain.
10. bibliotherapy 讀書療法
It called this ‘bibliotherapy’ and it’s become so successful that it's about to be extended to children as well.
11. written work thought to have artistic merit 作品被認為有藝術價值
Professor Philip Davis studies the effects of literature at Liverpool University and is author of a book called Reading for Life.He studies people in reading groups and found that it’s reading literature – written work thought to have artistic merit, that has the best effect.
12. the brain begins to work from different parts 大腦開始從不同的部位運作
13. see the brain coming to life 看到大腦活躍起來
He told the BBC that when reading something for pleasure, “…the brain begins to work from different parts, from a different hemisphere and it gets excited, it gets pre-emotional – and you can see the brain coming to life.”
14. ditch a good book and fiddle with our phones instead 丟棄一本好書，不斷摸弄手機
Of course, it’s easy in our smartphone generation to ditch a good book and fiddle with our phones instead.
15. open up a paperback 打開一本平裝書
16. a simple way to help boost or maintain our mental health 是幫助促進或保持心理健康的一種簡單方式
But opening up a paperback could be a simple way to help boost or maintain our mental health.
17. help you set targets and find focus 幫你設定目標，找到焦點
It's thought they can help you set targets and find focus.
18. see that awkward situation you've been anxious about for weeks 看到你好幾週都在為之焦慮的尷尬局面
19. from someone else's perspective 從別人的視角
And they may allow you to see that awkward situation you've been anxious about for weeks from someone else's perspective.